Week at a glance

National Marionette Theatre
Thursday, Friday and Saturday, Stratton Hall

Beginning Thursday evening, The National Marionette Theatre will be on campus to perform Prokofiev’s Peter and the Wolf. Showings begin Thursday at 4 and 7 p.m. and continue with showings at 4 and 7 p.m. on Friday and 2, 4 and 7 p.m. on Saturday. The production will take place in Stratton Hall, and tickets for general admission can be purchased at the Programs & Productions box office for $5.

The Syrotiak family of Brattleboro, Vt., runs the National Marionette Theatre and tours the U.S. yearly, performing in various locations and venues. Last year they visited BJU for the production Pinocchio. Mr. Rod McCarty, stage manager for productions on campus, called that production a success, saying it was enjoyable not only for children, but for adults as well.

Ice Cream Social
Friday, 7 p.m., Gazebo

The adage “Everything old is new” will be applied tonight as students gather for the 1920s-themed ice cream social at the gazebo. The cost for the social is $3 and will include a choice among three ice cream flavors with unlimited toppings from a wide variety of common favorites. The décor will feature the exact ice cream bar used in the film Milltown Pride, as well as other themed props from the film department.

Joslyn Rozema, one of the student leadership council’s event coordinators, encouraged students to come and enjoy the evening. “This event is different from others because it’s not structured, strictly speaking,” she said. “You can come and go as you like. You can enjoy it with a large group of friends or perhaps just your boyfriend or girlfriend.”

Casual attire is appropriate and students can bring blankets to sit on the grass. Throughout the evening various lawn games will be available, including croquet and bocce ball. In addition, the Greenville Textile Heritage Band, which features authentic period repertoire, instruments and costumes, will be performing 1920s-themed music from 7 to 8 p.m.

SCCT performs The Sound of Music
Friday, Saturday and Sunday, Peace Center Gunter Theatre

Last Friday, the South Carolina Children’s Theatre began performances of the Broadway favorite The Sound of Music at the Peace Center in downtown Greenville. Last presented by SCCT in 2009, the musical returned by popular demand and will have showings this weekend and next, finishing on Sept. 23. Tickets can be purchased online at www.peacecenter.org. Michelle Ward, director of marketing at SCCT, believes the show appeals to all ages.

“Whether you’re 2 or 92, SCCT has something for you,” she said.