Run for your life: Students prep for upcoming local races to benefit charities

Emma Klak and Hannah Choi participate in last spring’s Color Run in Racine, Wis. Photo: Submitted

Whether caked in mud or splattered with paint, students participate in area races not only for an experience, but also for a cause.

Mud Run

The Greenville Mud Run will be held Saturday at 8 a.m., and at least four BJU students are ready to get a little messy. Junior nursing major Emily Dickinson plans to run the 3.5-mile race with three of her friends. Emily said her team looks forward to a fun experience. Having already run a marathon, Emily isn’t intimidated by the distance of the race. However, she has been exercising to increase her arm strength in preparation for the climbing obstacles.

Race Director Paul Callahan said he tries to keep the race fresh each year. This year’s race features three brand new obstacles, and other obstacles have been enhanced. The Mud Run now features 35 obstacles total, including wall climbs, mud pits and army crawls.

Callahan, who is also development manager at the Goodwill Foundation, the organization that oversees the Mud Run, said the proceeds from the event are used by the Goodwill Foundation in projects to help people find jobs. “We are all about jobs and job training,” Callahan said.

Those interested in the event can sign up for the spring Mud Run that will take place on April 13-14, 2013.

Tough Mudder Race

Looking for a race that takes mud to a whole new level? The Tough Mudder Race does just that. An intense, military-style obstacle course that stretches for 10 to 12 miles makes this race a challenge for even the toughest of participants.

Junior nursing major Lyanne Acevedo plans to take on the Tough Mudder challenge on Oct. 27 in Society Hill, S.C., with Casey Thomas and Jenn Alexander, two other junior nursing students. In preparation for rope climbs, steep inclines and log carries, Lyanne is training with cardio exercise, primarily on a stationary bike.

Lyanne said the goal of Tough Mudder isn’t to win, but simply to finish. She also emphasized that camaraderie is important in achieving that goal, as runners help one another finish.

Tough Mudder supports the Wounded Warrior Project, a charity that offers aid to wounded U.S. soldiers. “Yes, it’s awesome that I’m doing a mud run, but it’s a bonus that it supports an awesome project,” Lyanne said.

Race for the Cure

In support of another cause, runners will participate in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure Saturday morning. Beginning at Fluor Field, participants will walk or run in support of those who have fought or are fighting breast cancer. Junior nursing student Holly Helm will run the race with her sister, 2010 BJU graduate Heather Helm Olson.

Holly said she has always wanted to participate in the Race for the Cure and is excited to support the charity. “So many people have been touched by breast cancer,” Holly said. She and her sister aren’t planning to run competitively; they just hope to enjoy being part of an event that impacts many lives.

Color Run

And while some wear pink, others wear paint. On Nov. 17 in Charlotte, runners will be doused with bright colors throughout the 5K Color Run.

Junior education major Morgan Leatherwood ran in the Color Run last year in Atlanta. According to Morgan, at each half-mile mark, participants are sprayed with a different color of paint until they reached the finish line, their white T-shirts changed into a collage of neon colors.

The Color Run’s charity partner in Charlotte is Habitat for Humanity.

Turkey Run

Don’t forget to prepare for BJU’s 26th annual Turkey Bowl 5K Run scheduled for Nov. 17. Students, faculty and staff, Alumni Association members and family members of runners may participate in the race, which is sponsored by the Alumni Association.

Proceeds from the race cover event costs, and surplus money benefits the Demonstrative Need Scholarship Fund, an organization that provides scholarships to students attending Christian colleges.