Week at a glance

Symphonic Wind Band Gazebo Concert
Friday, 6 p.m., Gazebo

The Symphonic Wind Band invites you to its annual gazebo concert tonight from 6 to 7 p.m. The concert will move to Stratton Hall in the event of rain.

Director Dr. Dan Turner titled this year’s concert “American Salute” because each song either refers to America or is patriotic in theme.

The repertoire includes selections from Meredith Willson’s musical The Music Man and several marches and overtures. “One [piece] called ‘Fourth of July’ is like a musical portrayal of fireworks,” Dr. Turner said.

This concert is one of the more casual musical events of the year. Audience members sit on the lawn around the gazebo and are welcome to bring food.

Day of Prayer
Tuesday, 9 a.m., FMA

The university family will set Tuesday aside for prayer and praise, beginning with chapel at 9 a.m. in the FMA.

Dr. Layton Talbert of the seminary faculty will preach the opening chapel sermon, and the service will also include singing and a prayer session among chapel buddies.

Mr. Kyle Wilcox, who organizes the event, said chapel and prayer times will focus on God’s attributes and their effect on prayer life.

Students will then divide by state to pray, focusing especially on this year’s election. Weather permitting, a picnic lunch at the activity center will follow.

The day will end with a praise service from 1-1:35 p.m., followed by a half-day of rest.

Missions Chapel
Monday, 11 a.m., FMA

More than 80 students from the University went across the globe last summer on seven mission teams to preach, teach and aid those in need.

Mr. Mark Vowels, director of missions at BJU, said Monday’s chapel will feature a video presentation of this past summer’s mission trips, as well as information about opportunities opening for next summer’s mission teams.

Eight or nine teams will be sent out from the University next summer. Although the main thrust of the chapel will be informational, Mr. Vowels said he hopes the video testimonies of former team members will inspire other students to go.