Razorbacks holds off Cobras, maintain undefeated record

Jacob Larsen
Alpha’s Tommy Colavito goes up for a header against Pi Kappa’s Mark Allamon during Saturday’s game. Photo: Jacob Larsen

The Alpha Theta Pi Razorbacks’ soccer team won 1-0 against the Pi Kappa Cobras on Saturday afternoon.

Both teams entered the game with high expectations, and it took overtime to decide the winner, with Razorbacks’ midfielder Aaron Iles scoring in the final two minutes to secure the victory.

The Cobras attacked all game long as Jon Edwards and Mark Allamon kept the Razorback’s defense busy. Spencer Pagliuca stayed on his toes in the goalie position throughout the game to preserve his clean sheet.

The Razorbacks’ defensive backs also played a huge role. Drew Maynard held the defense together with his strong play and vocal leadership. His performance in overtime led Alpha’s defense in playing a crucial role in the winning goal. “[During overtime] we controlled the ball more,” Maynard said. “That led to where we got down to the goal, and [the ball] just went in.”

“It got really messy right down there near the six-[yard line],” Iles said, recalling the game’s only goal. “Tommy Lamper hooked it back from the [six-yard] line, and I just happened to be in the right place at the right time and passed it in.”

The win kept Alpha’s unbeaten streak alive and improved their record to 4-0-1. Pi Kappa dropped to 3-1 for the season. The teams were very evenly matched, and fans should not be surprised if the two squads see each other again in the playoffs.