Bruin women devour Suns in 13-0 blowout

Bruin defender Abbe Mitchell steers the ball clear of the Suns’ offense during Monday’s victory. Photo: Stephanie Greenwood

The Bruin women proved utterly dominant in Monday’s game against Florida Christian College, crushing the Suns 13-0 in an early afternoon game. Scoring early and often, the Bruins produced a goalfest bordering on the incredulous.

The Bruins found the net only two minutes into the game when Lauren Peek took a fast pass from captain Sarah Porch. Peek raced down the sideline before pulling the ball back to freshman Spencer Martin at the edge of the box. Martin took a controlling touch before lashing the ball home into the top left corner of the goal. Meanwhile, Florida Christian had yet to put a single pass together.

Soon after, Peek scored by slotting the ball past the goalkeeper after a breakaway in the fifth minute. Following her second goal in the ninth minute, she slipped the ball through to Martin, who kept her composure to round the charging keeper and tap the ball into the empty net.

Porch made it a five-goal advantage for the Bruins by poking in a corner kick. In the 37th minute, Victoria Musselman turned Florida Christian’s defense inside out with a clever solo run, then finished smartly to put the Bruins up 6-0. Tessie Estrella added a seventh goal just before halftime.

Jocelyn Reemtsma scored two goals in two minutes, and Peek completed a hat trick with a strike from 25 yards out to open the second half.

Sophomore Dani Lee rounded out the scoring with goal number 13 for the Bruins 10 minutes from the game’s end.

Despite the lopsided score, Coach Carmichael was pleased that his team was able to possess the ball at a high speed while still maintaining tactical discipline.

“Statistically speaking, it looked like a game we could control from the beginning,” Coach Carmichael said.

He was also glad to mix up the lineup and have players in unfamiliar positions to increase their awareness of one another’s roles.

As part of Coach Carmichael’s plan, defender Dani Lee found herself playing as a left attacking midfielder, well outside her normal job description. She admitted to feeling uncomfortable at times, but still managed to score a late goal.

“It was a good game, but we definitely missed the energy that came from our fans because it was in the middle of the day,” Lee said.

The Bruin women will try to hold Tennessee Temple scoreless when they take on the Crusaders at Alumni Stadium tomorrow afternoon.