Let the games begin: Bruin Mania set to tip off BJU basketball season tonight

The Bruins’ men’s and women’s basketball teams practice in preparation for tonight’s Blue-White scrimmages. Photo: Amy Roukes

The Bruins’ men’s and women’s basketball teams will officially open their inaugural seasons tonight at the Davis Field House with the first ever Bruin Mania, a Chick-fil-A-sponsored event involving inter-squad scrimmages, fan competitions and giveaways, player introductions and, of course, the mighty Bruin Nation.

Spectators will have a chance to see players and coaches in action, as well as experience a little bit of the energy that will be transforming the DFH into an arena of screaming fans during each home game.

“We can’t wait to experience the electric atmosphere that the best collegiate fans in the NCCAA will bring to the arena,” said senior power forward Josh Clater.

“The fans have been so supportive throughout the whole process so far, so it will be great to see what they’ll do now that we’re really getting the season underway,” said junior shooting guard Abby Chetta.

The events will get started in the Davis Field House following the conclusion of the men’s soccer game against the Clearwater Christian Cougars and will run until about midnight.

Fans will have opportunities to win Bruins gear and participate in shootouts and other activities, as well as watch the men’s and women’s featured Blue-White scrimmages.

Mr. Tony Miller, Bruins’ director of basketball operations, encourages every fan to come and support the teams.

“[The SLC] is working hard to ensure that this will be an event everyone can enjoy. We saw how crazy the atmosphere could be last Saturday with just a couple hundred fans, and it was only a scrimmage,” Mr. Miller said, referring to the men’s recent victory over the Greenville Titans. “Just imagine what a full house will be like.”