Bruins women make it four wins in a row

Amy Roukes
Bruins captain Sarah Porch fends off a Crusaders defender during Saturday’s shutout victory. Photo: Amy Roukes

The Bruins women added yet another victory to their winning streak on Saturday afternoon, defeating the visiting Crusaders of Tennessee Temple University 2-0.

The Bruins passing game was almost as pristine as the late October weather as it picked apart the Crusaders’ defense and took advantage of TTU’s offside trap.

The dynamic combination of midfielders Becca Luttrell and Spencer Martin created several early scoring opportunities for the Bruins, including an open shot from Martin inside the penalty stripe off a through pass. But BJU was unable to convert until the 26th minute when Isobel Johnston bounced a strong shot under the keeper from 19 yards out.

Five minutes later defensive back Tessa Hoskinson controlled a deflected cross on the weak side and touched it around the keeper into the opposite corner to make the score 2-0.

BJU’s offense kept exploiting the Crusaders’ offside trap, and Tessie Estrella beat the line for two breakaways in the final four minutes of the half. Estrella was forced off the ball at the six-yard line by a recovering defender the first time, then was victim of a tremendous diving save by TTU’s goalkeeper on the second attempt.

The Bruins possession of the ball generated several more quality shots from inside the box, but without creating any more goals.

“We have to finish some of those [goals],” Coach Chris Carmichael said. “But we created the opportunities to get there, so I think the attacking was good.”

The Bruins women have outscored their opponents 28-1 in the last four games and will look for their fifth win in a row against Chowan University in tonight’s Senior Night match.