Tigers, Gators win playoffs, headed to championship game

Theta+Sigma%E2%80%99s+Juli+Smith+dribbles+around+a+Gators+defender.+Photo%3A++Jacob+Larsen+
Theta Sigma’s Juli Smith dribbles around a Gators defender. Photo: Jacob Larsen

The Theta Omicron Tigers jumped out to an early lead and never looked back in Monday night’s semifinal against the Pi Delta Classics, winning 48-27.

Theta Omicron owned the offensive and defensive glass from the start, earning second-chance buckets and holding the Classics to one-shot possessions for most of the game.

Katie McCormick, Beth Crosby and Rebecca Bredehoft sparked the Tiger offense with active hands in the defensive frontcourt and quick help positioning against the catch-and-slash style of Classics leading scorer Kristin Jeffcott, holding her to perimeter shooting the first half. The Tigers fell into a mid-range rhythm 10 minutes into the half and closed with a 27-13 advantage, led by a shooting streak from point guard Bredehoft.

Jeffcott finished the final 10 minutes of the first half with an eight-point run, and the Classics’ defense finally came to life, forcing several turnovers before halftime and carrying the intensity to the second half. However, the Tigers’ offense kept producing and held the Classics at a distance, winning the game and an opportunity to win the championship tomorrow afternoon.

Later on in the evening, the Chi Theta Gators battled for a 48-38 win over the Theta Sigma Colts in the second game of the women’s intramural basketball playoffs. Both teams started the half with intense defensive efforts, but the Colts had an early edge by forcing turnovers and keeping their hands in the passing lanes. The score remained close despite the Colts’ advantage on the offensive glass. The largest lead of the half was in the Colts’ favor at 24-17 just before halftime.

The Gators came out strong in the second half with an early block and a score in transition. That momentum proved to be the story of the second half as Chi Theta steadily overtook Theta Sigma. Once the Gators gained the lead at 25-24, they didn’t give it up. The Colts were unable to recover, and the Gators advanced to the championship tomorrow with a final score of 48-38.