Week at a glance

First Fridays Art Event
Tonight, 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Today marks this year’s last First Fridays art event in downtown Greenville. From 6 until 9 p.m., Greenville artists display their work on the first Friday of every month.

First Fridays promotes budding artists and expands the appreciation of visual arts in the area. Participating artists range from painters to potters to glass artisans.

For a complete list of galleries showcased at the event, visit the event’s website at www.firstfridaysonline.com.

Downtown Skating Rink
Now through January 21, 2013

Another skating season has begun at Ice on Main—the only outdoor skating rink of its kind in the Upstate.

Ice on Main is open until 9 p.m. on weekdays and until 10 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays and will operate until Jan. 21, 2013. Tickets are $10, which includes skate rental.

The rink is located between City Hall and the Marriott on Main Street (the block directly after Court Street if you’re going from campus). Greenville Technical College is sponsoring Ice on Main this year, and part of the ticket proceeds will be donated to a local Habitat for Humanity project.

Composition Recital
Tuesday, 5 p.m., War Memorial Chapel

This semester’s music composition recital will be held Tuesday at 5 p.m. in War Memorial Chapel.

Staff GA Caleb French, who is helping to coordinate the recital, said the composition faculty selects four or five original pieces by both undergraduate and graduate composition students to be performed at the event.

Unlike the spring composition recital, where students perform their own pieces, other musicians will perform the selected compositions in Tuesday’s recital.