Bruins beat out Owls in tense, record-setting showdown

The Mens Bruins basketball team plays against the Owls Photo by Kayla Pierce V 29.15

The Bob Jones University Bruins defeated the Warren Wilson College Owls Thursday night at the Davis Field House. The Bruins’ 107-94 win propelled their record to 12-9 on the season. Marshall Riddle set a career high with 31 total points.

As the first half began, the energy level was high for both teams.

The Bruins came out shooting as Ray Holden drained a three-point field goal from the corner, but the Owls’ Garth Bailey countered by hitting three three-pointers to keep WWC in the game early.

However, Bailey’s great shooting couldn’t keep them in the game for long. Marshall Riddle drained a three from the corner, and Justin Matthews sent a beautiful pass to Corey Turner for a layup.

The Bruins received excellent play from their bench, as Kendall Allen and Noah Smith each added a three of their own, and the Bruins took a 55-42 lead going into the half.

Corey Turner led the team with nine points in the first half followed by Ray Holden, Noah Smith and Marshall Riddle who each had eight total points. The Bruins shot 53 percent in total field goals, while going 68 percent from the free throw line.

“It is all about slowing the game down and not letting them pressure us,” Riddle said. “The big thing was being prepared for this game, and the coaches did a great job of that.”

The Owls looked for a comeback in the second half, but a strong Bruin offense kept the lead safe.

Holden started the half with a reverse layup, followed by Dustin Killough who drilled a big three-pointer. The Bruins led 68-56 with 12 minutes left.

Riddle drained another three under pressure to widen the Bruins’ lead. The Owls’ Devin Davis hit a nice bank and layup, but the attempted comeback came too late, and the Bruins won 107-94.

“We wanted to take care of the basketball and make them guard us at half-court,” head coach Neal Ring said. “There was no need for motivation. There was no way we weren’t going to come out and play ball tonight.”

Marshall Riddle led all scorers with 31 points, while Matthews led the team in boards with 11 rebounds.

The Bruins’ 107 points set a program record.

The Bruins next face the Life University Eagles on Feb. 13 at the Davis Field House.