BJU Lady Bruins bow to Warren Wilson Lady Owls 68–62

The BJU Lady Bruins lost 68–62 Saturday in a rough game with the Warren Wilson College Lady Owls.

The two teams competed earlier this season in a game that the Lady Bruins won 76–72, but the two contests were nothing like each other.

BJU has been on a hot streak, winning eight of their last 10 games before this particular contest.

Warren Wilson was riding a three-victory streak and held a season record of 14–12.

The Bruins opened the game cold from the shooting field, but they were able to stay with the Owls until WWC went on a 6–0 run to take an 18–12 lead at the end of the first quarter.

In the second quarter, the Owls continued to build their lead, but the Bruins stayed in the game thanks to strong play from Bhrianna “Pud”  Jackson.

The rest of the Bruins still were just not able to make their shots, and the Owls went into the half with a 35–25 lead.

As the second half began, the Bruins began to slowly chip away at the Owls’ lead.

Sydney Bedsaul provided a spark off the bench and Hannah Tompkins hit an exciting three as the Lady Bruins started to come back.

After a tense third quarter, the Owls still had a hefty 51–42 lead.

In the fourth, the Bruins came out ready and went a run to dramatically cut the lead to just six points.

But the Owls went on a 6–0 run to give themselves a little  breathing room. The Bruins tried their best but just couldn’t catch up as the Owls held on for a 68–62 win.

“I was really proud of how we kept fighting,” Jackson said. “Even though we were down and we weren’t playing our best or making shots, we never gave up.”

Jackson was named the PlanFIRST Player of the Game for leading the Bruins with 21 points on 66 percent shooting from the field.  Bedsaul scored 11 on 43 percent.

“We ran well at times but we just couldn’t put everything all together,” Coach LeViere said. “Defensively we struggled with positioning and really struggled to adjust to how the game was being officiated. We ruled the boards at times, but again we just didn’t put it all together tonight.”

The team dropped to 16–11 on the season. They will next play at Pensacola Christian College in Florida on Saturday, Feb. 20.