Colts A team tramples the Cardinals A team 35-26

The Colts play against the Cardinals in society basketball Photo by Kayla Pierce V 29.16

The Theta Sigma Chi Colts defeated the Beta Epsilon Chi Cardinals 35–26 in a women’s intramural basketball game on Saturday.

Both teams kept the score tight throughout the game, with the lead changing multiple times. The Cardinals consistently displayed quick thinking and smooth passing. However, the Colts dominated the rebounding and were able to ultimately pull ahead in the end.

Just over a minute into the first half, Mamie Mellano scored to start the Colts off with the lead. However, shortly after, the Cardinals caught up with quick passing and strong defensive rebounds. Despite many scoring opportunities, the Colts struggled to make their shots, allowing the Cardinals to take the lead and finish out the first half 18–17.

Near the beginning of the second half, the Cardinals started to tire. The Colts, who had more subs, were able to keep fresh legs on the court. The Cardinals were not able to do this quite as often, and their tiredness soon showed in missed layups and poor rebounding.

After a series of missed layups by the Cardinals, the Colts seized their chance to gain a lead. Down by 10 points with just under eight minutes left in the game, the Cardinals started to close the gap. Both teams fought hard to score right up until the end. But the Colts got possession of the ball with just 15 seconds left and let the clock run out to win the game 35–26.

Kayla Ellenwood, Elizabeth Humburg and Chalice Pack were the leading scorers for the Colts, each tallying eight points. The Cardinals were led by Jessica VanDerWilt who scored seven points and Jordan Walraven with six points.

Humburg said her team played really scrappy. “We did well fighting through screens and recovering,” Humburg said.

“We had a lot of team spirit toward the end and good chemistry,” freshman Kathryn Coselius said. “There was a lot of cheering on the bench.”

Overall, the Colts were able to fight hard, encourage each other and claim the win in the end.