Razorbacks A advance after 46–45 victory over Cobras A

The Alpha Theta Pi Razorbacks defeated the Pi Kappa Sigma Cobras 46–45 in an intense game between undefeated teams in the American League.

Anticipating a close game, both teams came out extremely aggressive in the first half. Neither team was able to find a rhythm on offense until Alpha took a timeout just over four minutes into the half.

On their next possession, the Razorbacks used excellent ball movement to find an open layup.

With 12:38 remaining in the half, Alpha’s Stephen Bruce hit a three-pointer to give them a 10–3 lead. Alpha continued the hot shooting, taking a big lead early on.

It took the Cobras a while to find points, but Clark Retcher hit a three to shorten the gap to 16–8 with 6:30 left. Alpha’s Ben Knoedler responded with yet another three pointer.

Knoedler’s three sparked the Cobras, as they began to close the gap. Josh Harm led the charge, and the Cobras narrowed the gap to just 23–21 as the half ended.

In the first half, Alpha appeared to be the more talented team, but the Cobras’ hard work defensively paid off before Alpha could pull away.

On offense, the Cobras took too many poor shots early in their possessions.

When the Cobras worked the ball into the high post and didn’t force a quick shot, they began to find offense and slowly caught back up to the Razorbacks.

The teams fought back and forth for the first 10 minutes of the second half, with Alpha holding a slight lead.

Despite hard work by the Cobras’ defense, Alpha continued to find good looks at the basket. Jared Newcomer came off the bench and gave the Razorbacks strong play in the post.

With 6:42 left in the game, Harm went to the line and hit two free throws to shorten Alpha’s lead to just one.

On the next possession, Cobras’ point guard Andrew Rysta drove through the lane and converted a layup to give the Cobras their first lead of the game.

With the game heading into the final minute, the Cobras held a three-point advantage. Alpha’s quick ball movement got Jadan Kashi open, who hit a vital three to tie the game with just three seconds left.

After the Cobras quickly inbounded the ball, Alpha mistakenly fouled Rysta over 60 feet from the basket with just 2.2 seconds left.

A seemingly great opportunity for the Cobras was wasted, however, as Rysta missed the front- end of a oneand-one and Harm was called for an over-the-back foul, putting Alpha’s Newcomer at the line.

Newcomer missed the first free throw, but hit the second. A desperation heave by the Cobras fell short, and Alpha won 46–45 in one of the wildest games of the intramural season so far.

With the win, Alpha moves to 3–0 with a +92 point differential. The second place Episilon Zeta Chi Tornadoes are also 3–0, but only have a +32 point differential.