Seniors honored during Lady Bruins’ 60–44 victory

The Bob Jones University Lady Bruins defeated the Columbia International University Rams 60–44 on Senior Night.

The Bruins hosted the Rams Tuesday for the last home game of the season. In the previous matchup, BJU won 69–60 in Columbia.

In the first quarter, Brianna Delaney and Kendra Jeffcott established control of the paint, creating many scoring opportunities in the post. Near the end of the first quarter, Kendra Jeffcott led the Bruins on an 11–0 run to give the Bruins a lead that they maintained for the rest of the game.

With Jeffcott’s fourth rebound of the night, she reached 1,000 career rebounds for the Bruins. After the first quarter, the Bruins were up 18–12.

The Bruins came out strong in the second quarter. Sarah Thomsen and Sha’Ron Brunson hit back-to-back three pointers. Later in the quarter, it was Delaney and Bedsaul’s turn to go back-to-back from downtown. The Bruins finished the first half with a 38–24 lead.

“Our rebounding and defense was as good as it has ever been in the first half,” coach Mike LeViere said.

The Rams came out of the half with defensive intensity and caused several Bruin turnovers, but the Bruins quickly settled in, preventing the Rams from making a run. At the end of the third quarter, the score was 50–36.

In the final quarter, the Lady Bruins started off hot. Sarah Thomsen knocked down another three-pointer. The Lady Bruins maintained their lead, as Bhrianna Jackson racked up six assists while commanding the offense. In the final minute of the game, all four seniors—Delaney, Jeffcott, Julia Wright and Maggi Ford—were subbed out to a standing ovation.

The game ended with the Lady Bruins capturing the 60–44 victory.

The Bruins followed the game by honoring the seniors for the accomplishments while playing for the Bruins.

“These four years have just been awesome and I have loved every minute of it,” said Jeffcott, the Bruins’ all-time leading scorer. “I couldn’t have asked for a better coach and I couldn’t imagine playing anywhere else.”

On Senior Night, both Jeffcott (13 points, 15 rebounds) and Delaney (14 points, 14 rebounds) put up a double-double. After the regular season, the Lady Bruins’ record stands at 19–11.

The Lady Bruins will next compete in the NCCAA Regional Tournament.