Royals edge out Rams 21–20 in close softball matchup

Benji Arcalas runs for home Photo by Kayla Pierce V 29.21

Pi Gamma Delta Royals beat the Phi Kappa Pi Rams 21–20 in an intense softball game Thursday night.

The Rams batted first. Benji Arcalas’ triple and Tyler Smith’s inside-the-park home run helped jumpstart the Rams to an early 7–0 lead.

In the bottom of the first, an error from the Rams allowed the Royals to score two runs of their own.

In the top of the second, Smith, Micah Gold and Matt Shannon led the Rams to score three more runs.

In the bottom of the second, the Rams’ pitcher, Quentin Ames, got the Royals to fly out on three straight at-bats, keeping the score at 10–2.

In the top of the third, Arcalas knocked in a run for the Rams, making it 11–2.

In the bottom of the third, the Royals began to rally. Nathan Diller, Seth Woelkers, and Robert Horn each hit inside-the-park home runs to make it 14–11.

In the top of the fourth, the Rams regained their big lead. Caleb Furwick tripled and an Arcalas hit an inside- the-park home run to make it 20–14.

In the bottom of the fourth, the final inning, the Royals needed to come back. Seth Woelkers got two RBIs on a double to make it 18–20. Shortly after, Bobby Kern hit a walk off inside-the-park home run win the game.

“We didn’t play well in the first half of the game,” said shortstop Levi Horner. “In the second half, we were in the right place in at the right time.”

The Royals remain unbeaten and certainly look like one of the best teams this year.