SLC Leadership Banquet to honor student leaders

A promo video for the Student Leadership Banquet is being shot.

This year’s red-carpet Leadership Gala will reward BJU’s student leaders with plenty of glamour and VIP treatment.

The student leadership banquet will be held on April 16, at the Hyatt Hotel in downtown Greenville.

Margaret Stegall, women’s Inter Society Council director and junior journalism and mass communication student, asked if she could assist in coordinating the event this year.

Mary Ellen Boyle, the campus events coordinator, and Christine Boone, administrative assistant in the Center for Leadership Development, have been the primary planners.

After seeing how detailed and creative the banquets have been in the past, Stegall was eager to be a part of the team.

Decorations will include black tablecloths, sparkly gold centerpieces and little gold-colored statues.

“We want it to be formal, red-carpet dress,” Stegall said.

Stegall hopes it will be an enjoyable event for those who attend. She’s excited for the opportunity to honor those who have worked hard all year to serve their peers.

“Peer leadership is such an important part of our development during college,” Stegall said. “There are so many opportunities here at [the University] for students to interact with each other, and we want those in leadership positions to know we appreciate them.”

Invitees to the gala include all who have served on Inter Society Council, Community Service Council, Student Leadership Council or Missions Advance.

Besides students, members of the administration and staff from the Center for Leadership Development are welcome.

President Pettit and vice presidents Sam Horn,  Marshall Franklin and Gary Weier are just a few of the administrators who are invited. About 150 people in total are expected to come.

After student leaders open the evening with comments about the past academic year, guests will enjoy a dinner catered by the hotel of steak, salad, appetizers, and either chocolate cake or cheesecake for dessert.

After dinner, awards will be presented to the winners of scholastic bowl, sports and society of the year.

Stegall said she has enjoyed working with Boyle and Boone on the event.

“It’s been an honor to be able to collaborate with them on such an exciting  project,” she said. “They have been wonderful, and I’ve loved working with them.”

Stegall said Daniel Herr,  men’s ISC director and event host, as well as Emily Weier, women’s event coordinator, have been a huge help as well.