Earthquakes remind us of God’s peace and providence

Last week, Ecuador and Japan were both hit by severe earthquakes.

In Japan, a 6.5 magnitude struck on Thursday, April 14, killing 10 people. Two days later on Saturday, a 7.3 magnitude killed 32 people and triggered large landslides in the surrounding areas. Between the two quakes, over 1,500 people were injured.

In Ecuador, a 7.8 magnitude earthquake hit on Saturday, April 16, with over 135 aftershocks. The quake killed over 507 people, injured over 2,500 and left over 200 people still missing.

After these earthquakes, many people in Ecuador turned to looting one another the night after the quake hit, causing chaos.

People became desperate for food, water, electricity and for help to find their loved ones amid the rubble of the buildings.

In crises like these, people often begin to panic. For them, it feels like the end of the world is about to hit and even in our small part of the world, we hear the news and begin to wonder the same.

In light of a world constantly bombarded with disaster and tragedy, it causes us to feel panic or uncertainty. However, we at The Collegian urge you not to panic, but to trust in the peace that God brings and His providence. It’s been said that  circumstances don’t make a you, but they often reveal you to yourself.

Psalm 46 speaks of tragedies like earthquakes or flooding. The author writes that although these tragedies may occur, God is bigger and always present.

“God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof.”

The overarching theme of this week’s chapel messages speaks to this idea: trust in God, and He will direct your path.