Game show to feature President Pettit v. Jones sing-off

Among the string of events happening this Homecoming, the Bruins Family Game Show is a must-see for students and visiting alumni.

The show will take place tonight at 8 in Stratton Hall. The event is free to all on a first-come basis.

Organized by the Welcome Center staff, the Bruins Family Game Show will include a series of games and competitions, and volunteer contestants will have the chance to face off with other students and alumni.

The show will end with a highly anticipated sing-off between President Steve Pettit and Dr. Bob Jones III.

University host and co-director for the game show, Clay Bryant, made it clear that the event will show a lighter side of BJU and its leaders.

Bryant described the event as “Seniors on Stage on steroids.”

As part of the university-wide effort to expand and promote the 2016 Homecoming Week, Welcome Center manager David Orr along with Bryant have been planning the event since the end of the 2015 Homecoming.

Local emcee and BJU alumnus Zachary Sprunger will host the show.

Sprunger was influential in bringing about the game show’s most awaited segment—the lip-sync battle between Dr. Pettit and Dr. Bob.

The  student ambassadors are also getting involved in the game show fun by assisting Sprunger.

Bryant described the idea of a showdown between the president and chancellor as a long shot, a dream that somehow came true.

When asked for his first reaction to the strange request, Dr. Bob replied, “Surely there must be another commitment on my calendar that will keep me from having to do this.”

On a more serious note, Bryant mentioned the importance of the current and past presidents to all alumni and students.

He pointed out that Dr. Bob is to alumni what Dr. Pettit is to current students.

Dr. Pettit acknowledged that the vast majority of alumni were under the presidency of a Jones.

“[Dr. Bob] has a unique personality, and that personality was shaped by the Jones family,” Dr. Pettit said.

Bryant hopes that seeing Dr. Pettit and Dr. Bob performing together will allow students and alumni to see each other as one university family.

“With a new president here, I think it is important for there to be a bridging [of] the gap—a unity—that we’re continuing on what had been started,” Dr. Pettit said.

Dr. Bob also commented on the transition in the University.

“I hope the students can see [my] working with Dr. Pettit as a supporter, friend and servant of the Lord in common cause out of love for Christ and love for the students. He is the [leader] for this era in the University’s history,” Dr. Bob said.

The Bruins Family Game Show will be a thrilling experience for the Bob Jones University  family— both students  and alumni—as the University celebrates its past and present at this year’s homecoming.