Superbike murders remind us of our fallen human nature

The Superbike murders case, where four people at Superbike Motorsports in Chesnee were shot and killed in 2003, came to a close this past Saturday in connection to a recntly-solved missing persons case.

Todd Kohlhepp, the sex offender accused of kidnapping Anderson local Kala Brown and murdering her boyfriend, Charles Carver, confessed to the four Superbike murders.

Spartanburg County Sheriff’s deputies found Brown, missing since August, in a metal storage container in rural Woodruff about a week ago.

Brown was held captive for about two months on Kohlhepp’s property chained by her neck like an animal, police said. .

Kohlhepp is suspected of even more murders and will likely face additional charges.

Seeing Kohlhepp’s picture flashing in multiple news stories on multiple news outlets  leads one to ask, “How can someone be so evil?”

In reality, we are all evil creatures with a fallen nature.

We like to assume that people are good—that human nature is good and kind and loving.

But with the fall of man in the Garden of Eden, sin entered the heart of man while entering the world.

This seems a bit depressing, but there is hope.

Galatians 1:4 says, “Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father.”

As Christians, we know that God provided a Savior to cover the sin in man’s heart with His blood.

With a purified heart, we can counter the evil, hate and darkness of the world with good, love and light.

Living in a world where evil makes the headlines and mass murders fill our newsfeeds, it is easy to feel defeated by darkness.

Revelation 17:14 says, “These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.”

Looking to Christ, we see that good wins. Light ultimately will defeat darkness.