Three elements of a great interview: Make your first impression make all the difference

Career Services’ Deleah Foster shares with students her top interviewing tips. Photo: Robby Jorgensen

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Americans, on average, will hold 11 jobs in their lifetime. This means the average American will be interviewed approximately 20 in a lifetime as the majority of companies conduct at least two interviews before hiring.

BJU Career Services recently held a workshop to better prepare students for these interviews. Deleah Foster, the resume adviser for Career Services discussed three elements of the interview process.

First, Foster advises students to consider the introduction and conclusion aspect of the interview. Foster recommends that the interviewee prepare talking points, a pitch, a resume and a closing statement. The interviewee should thank the interviewer and firmly shake their hand.

Second, Foster highly recommends active participation in the questions and answers portion of the interview. She suggests highlighting experiences, relating skills and avoiding clichés to show why you are the piece that completes the puzzle.

In addition, always have questions for the interviewer Foster said.

For example, an interviewee could ask the interviewer what they like about the company and what they would like to see a new employee accomplish in the first month or so of employment.

Third, Foster said to know the culture and branding of the company. Connect the dots and demonstrate how you would be an asset to the company.

One topic Foster discussed was research.  “[Research so] you will have more information to discuss with the interviewer,” Foster said.

“Know the culture of the company,” Foster said. “Know the job that you’re interviewing for because you really need to make the connections between your experience and the job you’re applying for.”

Foster said follow up calls should be placed after a week has passed unless the interviewer specifies otherwise.

Sarah Rumpf, a freshman communication major who attended the workshop, said her biggest takeaway was the research aspect. “You have to personalize your resume for every company to fit into their culture and what they’re looking for,” Rumpf said.

Brooke Belle, a senior educational studies major preparing for an internship this summer at a daycare center, said this workshop better prepared her for the upcoming interview.