UIA invests money, travels to NYC

Currently in the possession of Hunter Tart, the UIA trophy commemorates the semester’s top investor. Photo: Robby Jorgensen

The University Investment Association teaches students long-term life skills in investments and provides contacts in the field and various learning opportunities. According to Allie Mott, president of the UIA, members take part in projects from fantasy portfolio games to helping maintain a real portfolio by creating stock proposals.

“Every semester we do a stock proposal,” Mott said. All members are assigned to a team and have leadership opportunities within teams depending on the classes they have taken.

At the beginning of the semester, each team picks two industries to review.

They decide on one industry that they think would be the best to invest in and delve deeper, deciding where the best investments can be made.

At the end of the semester each team makes a portfolio proposal and are questioned on it by the UIA council.

Leaders vote on the best proposal, which is then reviewed and approved by faculty adviser Chris Rawlings.

“The winning proposal we actually invest in —real money—and we add it to our portfolio,” Mott said.

In addition, the UBS, the Union Bank of Sweden, the world’s largest wealth manager, also takes a look at the proposals.

According to Rawlings, the winners meet with the UBS in New York.

The UIA invests in the stock market and what they make each year goes toward the BJU scholarship fund. According to last semester’s portfolio, the UIA earned $2,800.

Members of the UIA meet and hear from professionals in the field. Last semester 17 professionals were brought to speak to the UIA.

Several members, including Mott, have received internships from their involvement in the UIA.

And other members like Jeremy Kramer, vice president of member development, have made lasting friendships with professionals in the field.

“It’s a connection point of a lot of resources that give you very deep, rich investment-focused knowledge.” Kramer said. “It really is for everyone; it’s incredibly easy to join.”

Founded in 2015, UIA teaches biblical stewardship in finance, investment and wealth management.

Students who are interested in joining the UIA  should email [email protected] or [email protected] for more membership information.