Seven senior Bruins honored in final regular season games

The men’s team won its final regular season game 103-99. Photo: Daniel Petersen

Both men’s and women’s Bruins basketball teams played their last regular season game Saturday.

During the halftime of the women’s game, the women’s team honored their seniors, Sha’ron Brunson and team manager Brooklynn Bullard.

Brunson, No. 12, has been a forward on the team for the last four years. She leads the team in free throws made as well as three-pointers made and is on track to be the third player in program history to reach 1,000 points.

During the special half-time event, Brunson received a framed photo collage depicting moments from her four years playing for the Women’s Bruins Basketball Team.

Rachel Clark, a sophomore on the team, said, “[Sha’ron’s] boldness, energy and passion for the game inspires and motivates me every day.”

Bullard has served the women’s basketball team as a manager for several years and has been nicknamed  the “team mom.”

Maddie Purdy, a freshman forward, said Bullard always puts others first.

“She definitely is our team mom. By the time we think to ask her for something, she is already there handing it to us,” Purdy said.

The men’s team waited until after their game to honor their five seniors.

Matt DeHart, No. 1, has played 46 games as a guard. He has brought energy to the team in the two seasons he’s played.

Chapman Harwood, a sophomore on the team, said, “Matt is one of the hardest working players on the team. He is truly selfless, [and] he plays with no regard to his body being hurt.”

No. 5, Robert Horn, has served as both the chaplain and the team captain.

He has been a leader on the team all four of the seasons he’s played.

According to freshman guard Brandon Soemer, Horn is the spiritual leader on the team in addition to a leader on the court.

“During our Florida trip, he took me and Chapman aside, and we had devotions and prayer time every morning,” Soemer said.

Cooper George, No. 15, has been described as a workhorse during his four-season career for the Bruins.

George was commended on senior night for his defensive awareness and effort.

Coach Burton Uwarow said, “He’s the hardest working player we have.”

Guard Justin Matthews, No. 2, has a dominant offensive and defensive presence. He is on track to be the fourth Bruins player to reach 1,000 career points.

According to freshman guard Quiyante Burroughs, Justin is a true leader and someone who wants to help those who struggle with experience.

Captain Dustin Killough, No.  21, holds the title of the all-time leading scorer in Bruins history with over 1,500 points. Killough’s consistency in scoring makes him one of the best shooters in the league.

Uwarow also commended Killough. “Dustin is an amazing player. He unselfishly deferred to others most of his career, and he still became the leading scorer in Bruins history.”