The Rainmaker to finish semester’s theatre season

Alex Viscioni (left), Jacob Napier (center) and Caleb Gleason (right) rehearse for The Rainmaker. Photo: Rebecca Snyder

Comedy will meet romance in a production of Richard Nash’s 1954 play The Rainmaker coming soon to Performance Hall. The show will be performed by the theatre arts department and directed by Mr. Ron Pyle of the theatre arts faculty.

Running the last week of classes April 23 through 28, The Rainmaker’s cast is small and tight-knit. And they are ready to perform an older play with a message applicable to many people today.

Rainmaker is set in a small western town in the 1930s. According to Pyle, most of the play’s action takes place in the Curry family living room.

Not only is a drought plaguing the Curry farm during the Great Depression, but the family is just as or maybe more concerned for Lizzie Curry, the independent plain-looking daughter whom they believe may be sad and single forever.

A debonair con artist known as Starbuck soon comes into the picture and promises to give the Currys rain for a large sum of money.  The family, out of options, agrees. Meanwhile, Starbuck has set his eyes on Lizzie and determines he will win her heart using flattery.

Lizzie sees through what he is trying to do but still has never had a man treat her like that before and undergoes a life change.

According to Pyle, the play has some good comedy and romance. The overarching plot brings Lizzie to a few conclusions about herself and where she stands. And the play gives historical insights into life during that time period.

Tickets are available for $8 at bjutheatrearts.com.

“[Students] should take a break from their classes and come see a fun, understandable story,” Pyle said.