Guest seminary professor to speak at Baccalaureate service

Dr. Daniel K. Davey will speak at next week’s baccalaureate. Photo: Submitted

BJU’s annual baccalaureate service will be held  Thursday, May 3, at 7 p.m.  in the Founder’s Memorial Amphitorium (FMA).

The speaker is Dr. Daniel K. Davey, who is the president and Bible exposition professor at Virginia Beach Theological Seminary.

Apart from serving as a pastor at Colonial Baptist Church in Virginia Beach, Davey has served in teaching ministries abroad, in Russia, Romania and Southeast Asia.

Davey started his ministerial career in 1982 when he became the associate pastor of Colonial Baptist Church, which his father had founded in 1979.

Five years later, Davey became the church’s senior pastor, and a few years later, in 1993, God burdened him with the desire to “[sharpen] servants for global ministry.”

Only two years later, Davey founded Central Baptist Theological Seminary of Virginia Beach in 1995.

Ever since its first class of 17 students enrolled the following fall, the seminary has continued training men and women for ministry around the world.

Recently, the seminary has changed its name to Virginia Beach Theological Seminary. After serving for 33 years as senior pastor at Colonial Baptist Church, Davey decided to narrow his focus to the seminary by resigning from his pastoral position.

The graduates of Virginia Beach Theological Seminary have been impacting the world for Christ for two decades.

“As I look back over these years, there is no greater ministry joy to my heart than VBTS. God has now blessed us with an incredible faculty of gifted men and staff of gracious servants,” Davey said.

According to him, graduates are serving in churches around the globe, from Boston to Cameroon.

Davey also said he thanks God for what he has done through this ministry. “May Christ be praised,” Davey said.

Davey received his B.A. from Liberty University. He then received his master of divinity at Central Baptist Theological Seminary in Minneapolis.

He holds two doctorates, one from Detroit Baptist Theological Seminary and one from Central Baptist Theological Seminary.

He and his wife, Martha, live in Chesapeake Bay, Virginia. They have four grown children and five grandchildren.