Picnic causes seniors to reflect on college experience

BJU Photo
The University set up a picnic for the seniors of Bob Jones University. September 28, 2017.(BJUMarketing/Carter Henderson)

The senior picnic, organized by the Presidential Office, was held last night from 5:30-8:30  p.m. at the activity center. Joel Bauman, men’s senior class representative, said the picnic demonstrated the care the University has for seniors.

After about a month of school, the seniors took a break from their busy schedules to fellowship with each other at the annual senior picnic Thursday and at a senior class appreciation breakfast today. “The presidential office is kind of taking care of us and showing their appreciation and gratitude,” Bauman said. “And it makes me as a student feel loved and welcomed.”

The breakfast, organized by Bauman and Emily Rose Zhang, the women’s senior class representative, allows students to grab homemade donuts, coffee and hot chocolate between 8 and 9:30 a.m. today.According to Bauman, the picnic is a good time to reminisce with other students and encourage each other to keep going. “I’m excited for this weekend to reflect on what God has done in my life and how he’s really used the past couple years to shape my desires and affections,” Bauman said.

In a similar vein, both Drew Williquette, a senior Bible major, and Joy Kamibayashiyama, a senior communication major, reflected on their times at BJU.Williquette and Kamibayashiyama both wish that they had been better about balancing academic and social life. Kamibayashiyama said that it’s difficult to build relationships while in school even though it’s obvious that both friendship and education are important.

“I’m still trying to find balance between having those very significant relationships with people that actually will last past college and doing my best school-wise,” said Kamibayashiyama.

Williquette found it difficult to find time to invest in people’s lives after getting involved in extracurricular activities. “I wish I had taken more time to get to know more people,” Williquette said. “But that is something I’m going to try to do more this year.”

Kamibayashiyama said she grew in a variety of ways while she attended BJU, including the areas of discernment and her spiritual life. “I know for a fact that I’m completely different from when I started,” she said. 

Williquette grew in his understanding of people through residence hall life, classes and leadership. “It’s just been a very valuable lesson, learning how other people work and learning how to work along with them well,” Williquette said.Some of Williquette’s leadership positions included being his society’s chorister and chaplain, and he currently serves as the men’s intersociety council director. He has also participated in multiple choirs.

Kamibayashiyama also involved herself in choir, and she has been a part of a choir every semester. She also has helped with some outreach events including the Special Olympics. She said that students should take advantage of the opportunities that are given at BJU. “There are a lot more ways to get involved on campus than you think there are,” Kamibayshiyama said.