What to expect: Homecoming and Family Weekend

Photos of the events of the BJU Homecoming 2015 Saturday

Pull out your planner and get ready because Homecoming weekend is almost upon us, and with all the events going on next week, you’ll need a schedule to remember them all. To help you out, here are three can’t-miss events.

The Bruin Nation Talent Show promises to be a night to remember.  The deadline for auditions was, Sept. 29, several different types of auditions were submitted.Andrew Carter, university host, said, “We told people if it’s entertaining, we want them to submit audition videos.” People listened, sending in auditions featuring music, gymnastics, magic and even weightlifting.

The show is open to all academy and university students as well as BJU alumni. “We want to showcase what all of Bruin Nation is capable of, not just the student body here,” Carter said. “It should be appealing to a really wide audience.”

The top 10 auditions will perform live in Rodeheaver Auditorium at 8 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 12. The top three performers will be selected by a panel consisting of one executive administrator, one college student, one BJU graduate and one faculty member.The winner will be decided by the audience through an online voting system. The finalists will also receive a cash prize—$500 for first place, $300 for second and $200 for third.

After the talent show, head over to the Davis Field House for this year’s pep rally, featuring a clash of the classes.Starting at 10 p.m. with extended curfew till midnight, the pep rally will throw back to an all-American theme with games that we played as kids. From pool noodle jousting to tug-of-war, the night will be full of friendly competition.

“Friday night is the craziness before the big game,” Natalie Larsen, SLC event coordinator said.Don’t forget to pencil in tailgating between the women’s and men’s soccer games Saturday evening.The women’s game starts at 4 p.m. against Kentucky Christian University, but the hype won’t stop after the women’s soccer team wins. Students can go straight from the game to the tailgating event on the lower soccer fields. 

Katie Albert, ISC co-director, said a hype zone will be designated where students can get their faces painted. Students can also play games such as spikeball and volleyball.“We have all the spirit leaders involved in the planning process,” she said. “And they’re the most hype people on campus so they’re getting things lively.”

Food will be provided for all students. The tailgating is a student-only event which will help carry energy from the women’s 4 p.m. game on to the men’s 7 p.m. game against Kentucky Christian University.