Faculty art exhibit to feature collection of widely diverse pieces, mediums and styles

Emma Klak
A piece by Mrs. Michelle Radford is displayed in the Sargent Art Building as part of the Faculty Art Show. Photo: Emma Klak

The works of three members of BJU’s art faculty will be on display beginning Monday in the Sargent Art Building.

The exhibit will feature works by two established BJU art faculty members, Mr. Mike Slattery and Mrs. Michelle Radford, and will also showcase the work of first-year BJU art faculty member Mr. Ross Shoe, who teaches 2-D studio art classes.

According to Mrs. Radford, having a faculty art show helps students learn more about their professors. When students see faculty artwork, it helps them better understand the way a professor teaches. “There is so much variety in the ways that we teach and in the ways that we differ from other artists,” Mrs. Radford said.

Presenting an art show also keeps the faculty involved in creating new pieces of art. “It’s important for us as artists to continue to make work, even when it’s difficult to find time,” Mrs. Radford said.

Since there is no set theme for the show, each of the faculty members is choosing whatever pieces he or she wants to present in the show. This will be the first faculty art show for Mr. Shoe, a BJU graduate who also received an MFA in figurative painting from the Academy of Art in San Francisco. He will be showcasing a series of “quick studies,” or small paintings based off larger paintings. According to Mr. Shoe, quick studies take 30 to 45 minutes each to create. “They vary in subject, from clothed figure studies, still life, portraits and outdoor environments,” he said.

Among the pieces Mrs. Radford will be showcasing are several unique oil paintings of landscapes on large-format, two-panel diptych canvases. “In the case of my work, I paint on two separate canvases, and these two separate paintings are bolted together, creating a conversation between the two images,” she said.

Mrs. Radford will also present several mixed media pieces, which are made of fabric, paint and found objects. “They are reflections on the repetition and provision of home and on the brevity and sacrifice of caring for others,” she said.

Mr. Slattery is known for his printmaking and stippling work, and all his pieces will be black and white, monochromatic pieces.

For those interested in seeing the finished products of Mr. Slattery, Mrs. Radford and Mr. Shoe, the Faculty Art Show will be on display in the exhibit corridor of the Sargent Art Building through Nov. 28.