Bruins dominate Eagles 92-62, Lipscomb sets school record

Mens Bruins play against PCC Photo by Kayla Pierce v 29.13

The Bob Jones University Bruins men’s basketball team faced the Pensacola Christian College Eagles in a crowded Davis Field House Friday night, and the Bruins dominated with a 92-62 win to propel their record to 10-7 on the season. Shawn Lipscomb set a new school record with 14 assists in one game. The record was previously set at 13 by Larry Taylor two years ago.

“We really pushed them this week,” head coach Neal Ring said. “We wanted to run the floor this week. “Our staff really did a great job of prepping the guys for this game. I thought our guys played really well tonight.”

The Bruins came out strong in the first half as they looked for a win over the rival Eagles. Kyle Turner put the Bruins on the board with a beautiful three from the corner. On defense, Marshall Riddle played with great intensity, and Kirtis Yurchak had a monster block against the Eagles that made the crowd go wild. On offense the Bruins showed fluid ball movement repeatedly hit open shots. The Bruins went into the half, up 37-21.

In the first half, the Eagles’ Jared McCrillis led PCC with seven total points. Riddle led the Bruins with 11 total points, and Turner with eight points close behind in the first half.

Riddle said, “I’m always confident from the extra work I put in, and my teammates always keep me confident.”

The Bruins had six offensive rebounds and 12 defending rebounds in the first half. The Bruins shot an outstanding 45 percent in the first half.

The Bruins came out in the second half dominating just as they had in the first. Kyle Turner was on fire and hit several threes, and Riddle turned in a solid performance on both ends of the court.

Noah Smith came off the bench and fed off the crowd’s energy, hitting four threes. To cap off the blowout, Ray Holden had a massive dunk off a steal in the Bruins’ half of the court. The Eagles scored a few baskets at the end, but the Bruins came away with a 92-62 victory.

Turner led the team with 19 total points and seven rebounds. Riddle was close behind with 17 total points. Noah Smith and Shawn Lipscomb each had 12 total points.

“This game was very important to me, and I am really proud of the guys,” Turner said.

The Bruins shot 53 percent overall and 50 percent from the three-point line. They also shot 63 percent from the free-throw line.

“Everyone was hitting shots today,” Lipscomb said. “I was trusting my guys a lot more today.”

“The guys were prepared,” Coach Ring said. “They run about four different zone offenses, and our guys were ready for those. It was a great night for all the guys to get going.”

The Bruins will next play on Jan. 26 as they host the Warren Wilson College Owls at the Davis Field House.