BJU Bruins defeated by North Greenville Crusaders, 111-83

Men Bruins basketball team go against North Greenville. Photo by Holly Diller 29.13

The Bob Jones University Bruins men’s basketball team fell 111-83 to the North Greenville University Crusaders at the Davis Field House Tuesday night. With the loss, the Bruins’ record drops to 10-8 on the season.

The Bruins looked to set the tone for the game as the first half began, but the Crusaders’ offense took control. The Crusaders’ Justin Dotson assisted Tommy Wade for a huge dunk to put them up 23-15 with 10 minutes left, but BJU’s Justin Matthews retaliated with a nice three-point field goal from the corner.

Marshall Riddle had a solid showing in the first half, leading the team with 11 total points while going 3-4 from the three-point line.

In the first half, the Bruins shot 44 percent on their field goals, and 78 percent from the free-throw line, but the Crusaders led 49-34 at the half-time buzzer.

“[The Crusaders’] press slowed us down,” Riddle said. “They controlled the tempo of the game.”

The Bruins looked for a comeback as the second half got underway. Riddle had a nice jump shot for two to start the half, and Shawn Lipscomb powered to the basket for a layup. However, the Crusaders’ Dotson drained a three-pointer, and NGU began to pull away. With 12 minutes left, the Crusaders led 69-47.

Kyle Turner turned up the heat with seven minutes to go as he hit a three-pointer. The Bruins stayed in the game to the end, but the Crusaders won 111-83 as the buzzer sounded.

Riddle led the team with 21 total points for the game, followed by Lipscomb with 16 and Turner with 14. Turner led with five total rebounds followed by Ray Holden, Lipscomb and Kendall Allen with four rebounds each.

“We need to get back, get our focus back on defense, and focus on communication,” Turner said.

For the game, the Bruins shot 47 percent in total field goals and 70 percent from the free throw line.

“They made a ton of shots, and they were able to set that press up,”  Bruins’ head coach Neal Ring said. “We gave up way too many uncontested shots.”

The Bruins look to improve their record as they face the Piedmont International University Bruins on Friday night at the Davis Field House.