Classics douse Flames, 52-31

Classics play against the Flames in a society basketball game v 29.14 Photo by Kayla Pierce

The Pi Delta Chi Classics, the reigning intramural women’s basketball champions, beat the Nu Alpha Phi Flames 52-31 on Monday night. Both teams were undefeated going into this highly anticipated matchup.

The Classics’ Tori Conover opened the game scoring with a contested three-pointer, but the Flames’ Reagan Lent responded with a deep two-point shot. The next few minutes went back and forth as Conover led the Classics’ offense while Tasha Knepp led the Flames.

The Classics had great ball movement and continued to score points, fueling a 10-0 run before the half, putting the game seemingly out of the Flames’ reach.

In the second half, the Classics’ Jess Baun opened with a three, and Conover followed with a euro step to get to the rim, extending the run to 15-0.

The Flames finally broke through to end their scoreless drought, going on a 6-0 run to make it 38-20. The Classics responded with a 10-4 run to make it 48-24.

Both teams continued to work hard in the last few minutes despite the major score difference. The Classics’ Kristin Haertlein ended the game with an exclamation mark, as she hit a buzzer-beating turn-around jumper. The final score had the Classics on top 52-31.

“We really played well as a team,” Tori Conover said. “Everyone was passing the ball, no one was hogging it. We are really close as a society and that shows up on the court. Everyone gets to play, and we just have fun. It’s a great team atmopshere. The credit goes back to Coach Daulton. She does a great job.”

The Classics once again had a dominating performance, boosting them to 4-0 and in first place in the American League.