Cobras defeat Cavs, 47-16

Cobras go against Cavs in a society game. Photo by Stephen Dysert. 29.14

The Pi Kappa Sigma Cobras defeated the Chi Alpha Pi Cavaliers 47-16 in a blowout on Monday night. The Cobras’ win boosted their record to 2-0 and the Cavs’ record fell to 1-1 on the season.

In the first half, both teams looked to set the pace for the game. The Cobras got off to a quick start when Clark Retcher hit a jump shot for two to start the first half, and Micah Mortensen had a nice steal before assisting Josh Harm for a layup.

The Cavs retaliated as Andrew Lehman drained a three-point field goal, but the Cobras’ Ajay Solomon made a short jumper to give the Cobras a 15-10 lead with six minutes left. The Cobras used that momentum to push ahead even further. At the half, the Cobras led 20-12.

Harm dominated the beginning of the second half with six points for the Cobras, and Mortensen had a nice shot off the glass for two more. The Cavs had several strong opportunities, but they could not make their shots.

With the Cavs’ offense struggling, the Cobras ran away with the game, eventually winning 47-16.

“The biggest thing coming in was control the ball, control the tempo and make smart passes on offense,” Cobras’ coach, Retcher, said. “In the first half we struggled a little bit, but we got some chemistry and got it going in the second half.”

“We did a pretty good job in the second half of moving the ball more,” Solomon said. “We are really excited about this season. Overall, we can play with more energy and get more involved in the game.”

The Cobras look for another win as they face the Cobras B team on Saturday at the Davis Field House.