A glimpse of Greek life can be found at Zoës Kitchen

Zoe’s Kitchen is located in Greenville and presents a clean, friendly atmosphere. Photo by Holly Diller. 29.15

Are you looking for a tasty, inexpensive meal but you’re not interested in the usual hamburgers or pizza? Zoës Kitchen, a Mediterranean-style restaurant, serves fresh food at a reasonable price.

Zoës Kitchen has two locations in Greenville, one at Woodruff Road in the plaza with Starbucks and one on Augusta Street. The restaurant is open 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday through Monday.

Their prices range from $5 to $12.

Zoë is a Greek word and means “life,” an appropriate word for the restaurant since the goal of Zoës Kitchen’s is to share the Mediterranean way of living, full of friends, family and fresh food.

Nearly everything in a Zoës Kitchen communicates that lifestyle. Both the outside and inside of the restaurant are painted with warm, lively shades of green, orange and red. And inside, a strong smell of spices fills the room.

Customers walk up to a counter and order their food in a fast-food style with their choice of dine-in or carry-out.

The menu features Greek salads, with dressings created from scratch in the restaurant and sandwiches, on regular bread or pita bread.

The entrées consist of mostly steak, chicken and shrimp meals. One usual crowd favorite is steak kabobs—two grilled kabobs including roasted vegetables and grilled potatoes.

One Zoës Kitchen worker, Rosa Aponte, said sandwiches and salads take about five minutes to prepare while grilled items take about 15 minutes.

Both the workers for Zoës Kitchen and the restaurant itself create a friendly and casual atmosphere. It’s a great restaurant for families and students.

Because of crowds at lunch time, try to go off-hours at either at 11 a.m. or a little after 1 p.m.  in order to start enjoying your great Mediterranean food as fast as possible.