Bruins golf finishes eleventh in first spring tournament

The Bruins golf team finished 11th out of 12 teams in the Sand Shark Classic—their first tournament this spring.

The Bruins played two rounds of golf on Monday. They followed that up Tuesday with another 11th place finish through the third round to come in 11th place overall in the tournament.

“This was a very strong field of teams,” head coach Dennis Scott said. “Fatigue, both physical and mental, was a major factor in the second round of the tournament.”

The Bruins traveled to the Oldfield Country Club in Bluffton, South Carolina, to complete in the Classic. The schools making up their competition were Dalton State, Coastal Georgia, Reinhardt University, Faulkner University, USC Beaufort, Thomas University, SCAD, Point University, Truett-McConnell College, Bluefield College and St. Andrews University.

Tyler Smith led the team through the first round, with Micah Gold closely behind (Smith – 79, Gold – 81, Shannon – 83, James – 83). But, as they had to play another 18 holes that day, fatigue got the best of the team. Micah Gold was the sole golfer to improve (Gold – 79, Smith – 86,
Counts – 88, James – 94).

After a good night’s rest, the Bruins came out Tuesday ready to play. The Bruins overall improved in the third round, but were unable to climb the leaderboard, finishing 11th.

Gold led the team in the final round with a 76. This allowed Gold to lead the team overall for the tournament.

“The tournament was good,” Gold said. “The weather was nice, and it was enjoyable. We didn’t play the best, but we had fun.”

The Bruins will look to build on their performance as next Monday they will head to Pine Mountain, Georgia, to compete in the Skyhawk Invitational.