Find your identity in God’s truth, not people’s opinions online

Cyberbullying shows itself in different forms on social media.

“Fat shaming,” harassment through comments or private messages, impersonation and denegration (distributing derogatory, false information or edited photos of a person through the Internet) are just a few ways that cyberbullying manifests itself.

Those of us on social media have most likely experienced some form of cyberbullying directed at us to some level. We may have even knowingly or unknowingly participated in cyberbullying at some time.

Often, serious cyberbullying affects our perceptions of ourselves and shapes our personal identity.

We get so entangled in having that perfect “social media presence” and forget where we, as Christians, should be finding our true identity.

Galatians 2:20 says “I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.”

As Christians, our identity is so clearly to be found in Christ and the salvation that has been given to us.

While it’s okay to be concious of what others have to say, we cannot place too much importance on another person’s opinion of us.

Instead, we need to firmly plant our value in God’s truth and what he says about His children.

Psalm 139:14 says “I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.”

If you experience cyberbullying, remember that our Creator specially created you specifically exactly the way you are.