Razorbacks A slash Cobras 42–41 in fierce battle Tuesday night

Colts trample Cardinals 33–20
March 18, 2016
March 18, 2016

Razorbacks A slash Cobras 42–41 in fierce battle Tuesday night

The Pi Kappa Sigma Cobras fell 42–41 to the Alpha Theta Pi Razorbacks in a men’s intramural basketball quarterfinal battle.

Both teams started out with fierce intensity. Alpha scored first with a foul shot by Jadan Kashi, but the Cobras countered with a three-pointer from Ajay Solomon.

The Cobras began to pull ahead of Alpha, finding open lanes and rebounding well—not giving Alpha any second chance opportunities.

The Razorbacks did not back down, and managed to close the gap to one point.

The Cobras continued to stay just ahead until Alpha called a timeout with nine minutes left in the first half.

Out of the timeout, Alpha gained the lead 14–13 on a layup from Jared Newcomer.

Throughout the last four minutes of the half, the teams traded the lead multiple times. Neither team could pull away.

With 30 seconds left in the half, Alpha’s Stephen Jones made a three-pointer. The first half ended with the teams tied, 23–23.

Newcomer led Alpha with eight points in the first half. Andrew Rysta led the Cobras with five points.

At the beginning of the second half, both teams were defensively strong, but each struggled to score.

The Cobras scored first over two minutes into the half, but Alpha had a short run with a series of layups and a three, putting the Razorbacks at 30–24.

Solomon hit several big shots, bringing the Cobras within one point of Alpha, starting a back-and-forth struggle for the lead.

The Cobras finally gained a small lead, capitalizing on momentum from a charge by Alpha’s Kashi.

Just under seven minutes left, Alpha hit a three tying the game again, 37–37.

The Razorbacks called a timeout with four minutes on the clock, and Jones told his team to keep up the pressure on the Cobras’ ball handlers.

Alpha shut down the Cobras’ offense and dominated the rebounding, and after a number of fouls on both teams, Alpha pulled ahead 42–37.

The deficit proved too much for the Cobras, but they put up a good fight and never backed down.

They ended up making back-to-back shots with just 18 seconds left on the clock.

Alpha fouled Clark Retcher with one second left on the clock, giving the Cobras a chance to win the game.

Retcher went to the line, but was unable to hit the free throws, giving Alpha the 42–41 victory.