Spring Break 2016

The students and faculty of BJU are looking forward to the University’s first ever spring break.

Beginning after class Tuesday, March 22, and ending the night of March 28, spring break will give students an opportunity to spend time with family and friends.

President Steve Pettit  said he is looking forward to spending spring break with his family. The Pettits’ son, daughter-in-law and grandson will be coming to Greenville during the break.

“We haven’t decided exactly what we are going to do as of yet,” Pettit said. “However, I am planning to not think too much about BJU and relax.”

Dr. Amos Kasperek, assistant professor of modern languages at BJU, is also ready for spring break.

“We plan to go to Florida to visit some family we have not seen in a long time,” Kasperek said. “I also plan to work on plans for the summer 2016 Study Abroad to Spain.”

Gabby Prairie, a freshman cinema production major from Illinois, will travel with her sister Olivia, a senior graphic design student, and cousin Kenzie Stratton, a senior interior design student. Prairie is excited to stay in a beach house in Tampa, Florida, with her family.

“I’m really pumped to give my mind a rest and have a change of scenery to the lovely beach view,” Prairie said. “It will definitely be a trip to remember, and I’m excited to make those memories.”

Sophomore cross-cultural services student Isaac Stephens is looking forward to a time of family fun at the Dollywood theme park in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.

Kristy Stodola and Larissa Loeffler are among many others who can’t wait for the familiarity of home sweet home.

Stodola, a sophomore orchestral instrument performance major, will fly home to Deering, New Hampshire, to spend time with her family and friends.

“I’m really looking forward to sleeping in my own bed again, eating my mom’s cooking, hanging out with my brothers and getting some good quality relaxation time,” Stodola said.

Home for Loeffler, a cinema production senior, is in Cornelia, Georgia.

“I plan on spending time with my family, watching movies, and possibly working some at the coffee shop I work at during the summers,” Loeffler said.

Spring break is also an opportunity for students, especially seniors, to search for jobs and schedule interviews.

Courtney Sturgis, a senior exercise science major, is heading home to Kennett Square, Pennsylvania, for spring break.

She has one interview scheduled to take place with an intermediate unit for children with special needs while she is home. Sturgis plans to set up more interviews with an autism school and an autism behavioral therapy company.

Sturgis is starting her break a little sooner to attend her sister’s wedding.

“I am definitely looking forward to being my sister’s maid of honor in her wedding,” Sturgis said.

Some students are enjoying their break a little closer to campus. Stephen Smith, a sophomore in church music from Michigan, plans to visit his grandfather in Columbia, South Carolina.

Naemi Villiger, an early child care and development sophomore from Switzerland, will be staying on campus during spring break with her two sisters.

“We are going to be trying to catch up with homework, sleeping in, catching up with Skyping family back home, and we are planning on doing some hiking,” Villiger said.

For students staying on campus, there will be a more relaxed schedule. Curfew is extended to 11 p.m. each evening, and students will be allowed to stay off campus overnight at friends’ homes with a pass. Casual attire may be worn, with the exception of church services and the Sunday noon meal on campus.

“My hope would be that it would be a true break so that when they come back with a renewed enthusiasm about being in school,”  Pettit said.

Spring break is a great time for students and faculty to gear up for the final stretch of the 2016 spring semester.

“The Lord gave us six days and a day of rest,” Dr. Pettit said. “So rest is important to God. I believe it renews you and makes you appreciate what you have versus being so tired you just want to stop.”