Classics conquer Eagles, 46–36

Pi Beta Classics take the championship.

The Pi Delta Chi Classics defeated the Alpha Gamma Tau Eagles to win the women’s society basketball championship for the second year in a row.

The Classics played a fast-paced, aggressive game. Both teams found lots of scoring opportunities but racked up fouls as well. In the end, the Eagles could not overcome the Classics.

The Eagles scored first with a layup by Katelyn MacDowell, but the Classics quickly gained the lead with a series of layups and foul shots.

Seven minutes into the first half, the score was tied 7–7. The Classics were in a 3–2 zone defense, while the Eagles tried to shut down the Classics with a man-to-man defense.

The Eagle’s Kilina Klaich broke the tie with a long three- pointer. But the Classics Tori Conover responded with a three of her own, tying the score once again. The teams again exchanged threes bringing the score to a tie at 14.

Jessica Baun gave the Classics a lead with two layups, an offensive rebound and a three-pointer. The Eagles tried to take the lead from the Classics but could not capitalize on their scoring opportunities. They were able to catch up with many foul shots, however, and the first half ended with the Classics taking a 22–18 advantage.

Klaich led the Eagles in the first half with eight points. Baun scored over half of the Classics’ points for the first half with 10 points.

Both teams started the second half out strong. The Eagles were able to to score and shorten the Classics’ lead. Although the Classics struggled to make field goals, they managed to maintain their lead with foul shots. The Eagles had over 10 fouls in the second half alone.

The Classics played with high energy and speed, and the Eagles struggled to keep up. This allowed the Classics to slowly lengthen their lead and take the 46–36 win.

The Classics’ Anna Daulton said she was pleased to see their efforts rewarded. “It really shows that all our hard work during the season paid off,” Daulton said.