Alpha faces Phi Beta in quarterfinal

The Alpha Theta Pi Razorbacks defeated the Phi Beta Chi Bulldogs in an intense quarterfinal round of men’s intramural softball. The Razorbacks came into the game with a 2-2 record and took a 15-4 win on Tuesday night.

The Bulldogs began the first inning with their first two batters getting thrown out at first base. Due to an Alpha error, Josh Roach doubled, driving in two runs. In the bottom of the first, Andrew Netz hit a fly ball to left for a base hit, and Stephen Bruce had a base hit that drove in Netz for an RBI.

As the second inning started, Roach hit a sharp grounder that the third baseman couldn’t handle, leading to another run. The score was 3-3 after the second.

The Bulldogs’ Matthew Beals started the third inning with a base hit. A hard line drive was hit to Alpha’s third baseman, but his throw was wide and rolled out of play.

Alpha led 6-4 going into the bottom of the third before adding six more runs.

The fourth inning didn’t look good for the Bulldogs as their first three hitters grounded out at first. In the bottom of the fourth, Alpha’s Brad Miller killed a long ball for a three-run home run, and Alpha led 15-4 at the bottom of the fourth.

Alpha’s strong defense prevented the Bulldogs from making a comeback, and the game ended with a 15-4 Alpha victory.

“We had a few errors in the infield, but overall we did a good job,” Alpha’s coach Jadan Kashi said. “Our goal is to take it one game at a time, prepare well and go for it all.”