Beta triumphs over Spartans, 2–0, in volleyball

The Spartans play against Beta Gamma Photo by Kayla Pierce V 29.22

The Beta Gamma Delta Patriots’ volleyball team crushed the Sigma Alpha Chi Spartans in two sets.

Sigma started with the first serve, but they soon lost the serve and the point to Beta. Deon Vidal scored the first point for Beta with a powerful hit from the right side.

Beta stayed ahead through the entire first set, but Sigma was not far behind.

Beta’s technical skills were superior to Sigma’s skills, but Sigma did not lose heart.

Simple mistakes cost Beta some points. Although their hits were powerful and difficult to block, the hits were more like loose cannons, as Beta struggled to keep the ball in play.

Sigma’s Will Gingery stayed strong at the net. He blocked multiple hits and scored with some hits.

Beta’s libero, Ashton Goad, kept his team’s spirits up. Goad also was the main communicator for the team.

With the score 13–9, a long volley was played for the next point.

Sigma worked hard with multiple good passes and hits, but Beta won the point though when Vidal blocked Gingery’s hit.

Sigma started to make a comeback with Beta needing only one point to win the set. Sigma showed intense effort and good serving, but this was not enough to overtake Beta. Beta took the first set 25–14.

Beta served first in the second set. The first few points for both teams were scored off mistakes including four hits out of bounds, a net violation and service errors.

Beta continued their powerful hitting, but struggled to maintain their accuracy.

Sigma fell behind soon into the second set. They were able to gain a couple of points off Beta’s mistakes and a block by Gingery.

With Beta up 15–8, Beta knocked a Sigma player right off his feet with a powerful hit, bringing the score 16–8. But Sigma did not let this deter them. They responded with an intense hit of their own.

Sigma fought hard and never gave up, but Beta proved to be the stronger team. They took the set 25–12, winning the match in two sets.

Beta did not flaunt their win. As the team came together after the game, they congratulated each other and talked about areas that they needed to improve.

The Beta Patriots will look to carry their momentum from strong game play into the rest of the season.