Expectations of quick solutions may hinder our spiritual growth

The Millennial Generation is spoiled.

With the technology available today, it’s hard not to be. Smartphones, laptops, iPods, iPads and even some video game consoles all can connect directly to the Internet at the touch of a button.

Information is available right there at our fingertips—immediately.

Our generation has become used to the quick response system of Google magically finding the exact answer needed within seconds.

If something takes longer than a few seconds, we become impatient and wonder why it’s taking so long. Because of technology, we now expect fast results all the time.

The answer?

Faster technology. This never-ending loop of impatience and updated operating systems only causes more impatience.

But is this how we should treat our spiritual life?

Too often do we try to throw our spiritual growth into the same category.

Like with technology, we become frustrated when we don’t see immediate results or growth in our own lives, but we don’t take the time to pursue change.

We want growth and recognize that we need change, yet we yet we struggle because “working out our salvation with fear and trembling” takes time and diligence(Philippians 2:12-13).

Growth in our spiritual lives requires God’s gracious enablement and our daily, conscious effort.

We need to purposefully take the time out of our schedules to pray, meditate on Scripture and fellowship with other Christians.

Patiently and continually seek out God.

Spiritual growth cannot come immediately like an app update on an iPhone, where we hit a button and let the technology take care of the rest.