Intramural Softball Champions: Colts

The Kangas play against the Colts Photo by Kayla Pierce Collegian V 29.23

The Theta Sigma Chi Colts swept the Tau Delta Chi Kangas in two games in the best-of-three women’s softball championship series.

The Colts had not lost a game all season, but the Kangas battled through a rough regular season to reach the championship series. Despite losing two of their three regular season games, they came together in the playoffs.

After  the Cardinals forfeited the quarterfinals, the Kangas upset the undefeated Flames in the semifinals.

The game had a slow start, with neither team scoring in the first inning.

But in the top of the second inning, the Colts’ Katia Walters hit a bases clearing double to score three runs. The Colts knocked in three more runs that inning to make it 6–0.

In the bottom of the second, the Kangas got the bases loaded with two outs, but a ground out stranded the three runners.

In the top of the third, the Colts’ Moriah Berry hit a triple, sparking the Colts’ offense. The Colts pushed the lead up to 10–0 by the end of the half inning.

The game could have quickly gotten out of hand, but the Kangas’ Becca and Bethany Williams each collected hits to fuel a six-run inning, cutting the score to 10–6.

In the top of the 4th, the Kangas held strong defensively and allowed no runs. In the bottom of the inning, the Kangas scored two more runs to make the game 10–8.

The Colts needed some insurance in the final inning. Mamie Mellano tripled in another run and gave the Colts a 12–8 advantage. The Kangas could not overcome the deficit as pitcher Tash Walters struck out the final two batters—giving the Colts a 1–0 series advantage.

In the second game, the Colts’ Moriah Berry started off the scoring by knocking in a pair of runs with a triple.

She also scored to make it 3–0 after the first inning.

Neither team scored in the second. In the bottom of the third, Tash Walters hit an RBI double.

The Kangas’ defense showed weariness and made several errors, and the Colts batted around while scoring 11 runs to make it 14–0.

The Kangas could only muster one run in the top of the fourth, so the game ended in a mercy rule.

The Colts won 14–1, giving them the 2–0 championship victory.

“In the third, it all started to connect,” Walters said. “We hit better and started have more aggressive base running which worked well for us.”

It took work, but the Theta Sigma Chi Colts earned their championship by turning an undefeated regular season into a championship win.