Classical piano quintet to showcase unique family talent

The 5 Browns will perform the first program of the semester in BJU’s Concert, Opera & Drama Series at 8 p.m. Tuesday in Founder’s Memorial Amphitorium.

Many students are looking forward to this event and hoping that this will be an exciting evening featuring five very talented pianists.

However, these are not just five excellent pianists coming together to display their coordinated ability—they are siblings.

Ryan, Melody, Gregory, Deondra and Desirae Brown are a family—a family who has studied hard together and has become a talented group of pianists.

Planning the Concert, Opera & Drama Series is no small matter here on the campus of Bob Jones University.

The details of a particular event begin to form months before the performance.

Part of the process involves Dr. Darren Lawson, dean of the School of Fine Arts and Communication, locating possible performers and making recommendations to the president.

The Concert, Opera & Drama Series is a vital part of Bob Jones University.

“Our artist series programs are an important part of the cultural mission of the school and of the liberal arts focus that we have enjoyed for 90 years,” Lawson said.

The BJU administration tries to schedule events that will be exciting and inspiring for the student body. However, an unforgettable performance is not their main goal—honoring Christ is.

As communicated in the BJU mission statement, Bob  Jones University is committed to fostering “spiritual, intellectual, social and physical development and cultural expansion of the individual.”

There are many people who play the piano very well.

So why exactly were The 5 Browns chosen?

“The 5 Browns are a top-notch performing group with the unique distinctive of being five siblings,” Lawson said.

Reviews of their performances are consistently positive. All five attended New York’s Juilliard School together and became the first five siblings to be accepted at the same time.

The Browns have a unique style and have been called the “Fab Five” by People magazine in 2002.

Their popularity has soared since this major publicity break in 2002.

Many fans would claim that the 5 Browns cause the piano to sing beautifully and classical music to come alive under their 50 fingers.

This is the second time the 5 Browns have performed on campus. The first time was in September 2011.

Lawson said the previous event was very popular both with the community and the student body.

There is no question about the fact that Founder’s Memorial Amphitorium will be full of both people and music on Tuesday evening—the night that the 5 Browns will perform once again at Bob Jones University.