Comparing yourself to others: a detriment to your happiness

We compare grades, friends, relationships, clothes and even levels of spirituality.
These are all too common comparisons at Bob Jones University.

Living in an environment that challenges students to be their best is a growing experience.

This growth is vital to our futures as responsible, hardworking adults.
But we too often translate my best to the best. Oh the difference one little word can make.

The misconception that we have to be the best feels most at home in the college atmosphere.
Constantly trying to be the best means constantly checking out our opponents.

We begin to see classmates, roommates and even friends as competitors in the game of college life.

Comparisons cannot be accurately made between people.

Grades vary between students for a lot of reasons—credit loads, campus or off-campus jobs, health issues or family problems.

Side effects of comparisons include unhappiness, depression, discontent, anger, covetousness and bitterness.

The Bible warns that it is unwise to make such comaprisons among ourselves.

In 2 Corinthians 10:12 Paul says, “For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.”

Rather than looking for competition in life, we should look for completion in Christ.

In Dr. Pettit’s recent sermon on finding our identity in Christ, he emphasized that Christ should be our fulfillment. We should see ourselves and others as Christ sees us—redeemed children created in His image.