Calm in the political storm: keep your focus on your King above

With Nov. 8 less than a month away, the 2016 presidential election is a topic that’s at the forefront of our minds.

Maybe you’ve already made your decision. Perhaps you’re tired of hearing about it.

However, the election worms its way into our conversations on a daily basis.

It’s all over social media.

It’s almost impossible to scroll through your newsfeed without seeing at least one debate clip, meme  or passionate post.

When you see one of these items cross your feed, what’s your reaction? Frustration? Disappointment? Anger?

For many people this election season has been discouraging.

As evidenced by information released just this past week, both candidates are flawed human beings.

As Christians, what should our attitude be toward the next leader of our nation?

In the midst of the political chaos that we call the 2016 election, it’s important to keep  a heavenly focus.

When discussing  a “hot topic” such as the election, be careful not to let your personal opinions create a wedge between you and fellow believers.

Christ died for us so that we could be unified through His love, not divided over temporal issues.

Strive to approach the election with the perspective that the shocking elements we have experienced are no surprise to God.

Despite the apparent chaos, God is in control.

In Isaiah 41:10, God says, “Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”

Regardless of your political opinion, remember your King is in Heaven and not on earth.