Trump shocks nation with sweeping win

After over a year of campaigning and non-stop polls, Election Day finally arrived and proclaimed Donald Trump the victor.

Before election day, polls showed Clinton with a strong lead, but as votes came in these polls were quickly proven wrong.

Trump went on to take the battle ground states of Florida, North Carolina, Ohio and Pennsylvania, securing a clear mathematical path to the presidency.

At approximately 2:30 a.m. on Nov. 9, Donald Trump hit 276 electoral votes when the Associated Press called Wisconsin.

At 3 a.m., Trump took to the stage after Clinton conceded the election via phone. 

Trump said, “I will be president to all Americans, and this is important to me” as he pledged to bring unity to the United States in his victory speech.

The election race has been a historic one, starting with the Republican primary putting forth 17 candidates.

Trump not only won the nomination, but he also broke the record for most primary votes by 1.4 million votes.

After winning the primary, Trump immediately found himself immersed in a battle against Hillary Clinton for the U.S. presidency.

Trump came into the primary stating that he was going to make America great again.

He immediately tapped into the fear and disdain that many Americans  felt towards the current political environment.

This is what many believe earned him his large primary following and ultimately won him the presidency.

The victory did not come from an easy fought battle. The media, which originally helped Trump stand out amongst his 16 primary opponents, became his greatest enemy as the race narrowed to him and Clinton.

The media would run his political blunders on a seemingly constant cycle, even going as far as to run the occasional fake story.

Debates between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton focused mostly on ad hominem, with both candidates attacking the other’s character and past mistakes.

Clinton would double down on Trump’s comments while Trump would focus the conversation on Clinton’s email scandal.

The key policy issues of Trump’s campaign focus on reforming immigration, repealing Obamacare, reducing taxes, renegotiating current trade deals with other countries and taking aggressive measures against ISIS.

The presidency was not the only win for Republicans.

South Carolina Sen. Tim Scott made history last night by becoming the first black senator in the South since Reconstruction to be elected to serve the full six years in office.

Trey Gowdy, representative for the 4th Congressional District of South Carolina, also won reelection for his fourth term.

Republicans won the majority of the Senate, House of Representatives, statehouses and governorships.

A landslide victory for the Republican Party, such as this one, has not happened since 1928.