Kilwins sweetens Greenville

Fairly new to Greenville’s bustling downtown is Kilwins, an ice creamery and chocolate shop rolled into one.

Located on North Main Street, the shop is Greenville’s own piece of the over 70-year-old franchise.

The Kilwins chain has been an American staple for generations, delighting not only kids but also parents.

The store offers a variety of specialty ice cream flavors, including the Greenville Mud—a local favorite.

Available only in the Greenville location, the signature flavor is a smooth Turtle meets Oreo creation.

All ice cream is hand scooped, and workers actually encourage customers to try multiple flavors before making a decision.

In addition to ice cream, Kilwins creates dozens of chocolate desserts in-house.

Caramel apples, six different flavors of fudge and scores of candies are just a portion of the shop’s dessert selection.

And at certain times, workers can be seen creating future desserts.

As with everything else in the store, samples are available for visitors.

Although Kilwins does not offer inside seating, a courtyard of chartreuse tables and chairs allows customers the chance to enjoy their desserts in the open air in the heart of Greenville.

Situated between College Street and West North Street, Kilwins is ideal for people-watching with the abundance of foot traffic.

Customers can expect to pay between $5 and $7 per visit—a price comparable to competitors the Marble Slab and Cold Stone Creamery.

Kilwins is an interesting and worthwhile stop amid the excitement of downtown.

Open till 11 p.m. on weekdays, Kilwins just might be the ideal place for an upcoming after-Artist Series date.