Razorbacks, Seagulls triumph in 7v7 championships

Seagulls. Photo by Rebecca Snyder. 30.11

After several weeks of playoff games, the men’s and women’s intramural 7v7 soccer season concluded last week with their championship game Thursday night.

The men’s 7v7 championship game featured Lanier Falcons (Black) vs. Alpha Theta Pi Razorbacks B-team, and the women’s featured the Phi Delta Chi Classics and the Zeta Tau Omega Seagulls.

The Razorbacks defeated the Falcons 5-4 in the men’s championship game.

The Razorbacks led 4-1 at one point before the Falcons rallied to tie the score and send the game into overtime, where the Razorbacks eventually won.

The Razorbacks started their season off with impressive 10-2 and 8-1 victories over the Kappa Sigma Chi Knights and the Kappa Theta Chi Stallions respectively.

The Razorbacks finished the regular season 12-2, their only losses coming from the Alpha Theta Pi A-team and the Lanier Falcons (Black).

In the playoffs, the Razorbacks started their playoff run with a 5-1 win over the Pi Gamma Delta Royals in the quarterfinals and then went on to defeat the Alpha Theta Pi A-team in a rematch of a game they lost in the regular season.

In the championship game the Razorbacks got the chance to avenge their only other regular season loss by defeating the Falcons.

The Seagulls, who won last year’s women’s 7v7 championship, entered the women’s 7v7 playoffs with a 12-3 regular season record and finished third overall in the regular season standings.

Throughout the season, the Seagulls were able to shut out their opponents in eight of their 15 games, including a 14-0 shutout win against the Theta Alpha Chi Owls and a 12-0 shutout of the Chi Theta Upsilon Gators.

The Classics’ regular season was even more impressive than the Seagulls’, finishing undefeated at 15-0 and at first place in the standings.

The Classics were also able to shut out their opponent seven times during their regular season games.

The playoff run for the Classics started on a high note when they defeated the Theta Mu Theta Bandits 6-0 in the quarterfinals and then the Theta Delta Omicron Tigers in the semifinals.

The Seagulls defeated the Nu Alpha Phi Flames 6-5 in their quarterfinal matchup and then beat the Theta Sigma Chi Colts 5-3 in their semifinal game to advance to the championship game against the Classics.

The Seagulls and Classics finished the second half of the championship game tied at 2-2 and took the game to penalty kicks where the Seagulls won 6-5, making them 7v7 champions for two years in a row.