M&G collection travels across campus, up the East Coast

Daniel Petersen
The Bowen Collections of Antiquities in the Mack Library displays a plethora of Egyptian artwork. Photo: Daniel Petersen

What do visitors to historic Williamsburg and visitors to BJU’s Mack Library have in common? The opportunity to see pieces from the Museum & Gallery’s world-class collection.

M&G has loaned parts of its prized Dutch collection to the Muscarelle Museum at the College of William and Mary.

A series of antiquity displays was also lent to the Mack Library at BJU.

The loans come as part of a wider effort by M&G to continue its influence despite being closed temporarily for renovations.

“The collection should be viewed and appreciated,” Erin Jones, director of the Museum & Gallery, said. “And loans are the best way to make that happen and spread the testimony of M&G and, by association, BJU.”

The five paintings being loaned to the College of William and Mary come from M&G’s unparalleled collection of Dutch painters inspired by Italian painter, Caravaggio. They will be on loan until May 13.

Mack Library has also borrowed from M&G ‘s rich collection. Members of the campus community can now enjoy perusing through the Bowen Collections of Antiquities on the library’s ground floor.

The series of displays encompasses 45 centuries of history, according to Jones.

A gift from archeology enthusiasts Frank and Barbara Bowen, the assortment of antiquities include a first-century manger, a Hebrew baby rattle, Egyptian eye make-up, weapons and jewelry.

“These ancient objects supply meaningful and remarkable links from our day to as far back as 3200 BC,” Jones said.

“It doesn’t take long to realize the accuracy of King Solomon’s words, ‘there is no new thing under the sun.’”

Since M&G’s campus location has closed for renovations, its collection has been loaned across the United States and across the world.

The J. Paul Getty Museum and Musée du Luxembourg are just a few of several locations currently housing pieces from M&G.

The Museum of the Bible in Washington, D.C., is also borrowing two paintings, a sculpture and various antiquities from the campus collection.