Column 2/16/18

“All hail the pow’r of Jesus’ Name! Let angels prostrate fall; Bring forth the royal diadem, And crown Him Lord of all! And crown him Lord of all!”

I sang these lyrics by Edward Perronet in a freshman choir concert last year.

“All hail the pow’r of Jesus’ Name!” Think about that for a moment. Why are we hailing the power of His name? I mean, it’s just a name after all. What’s in a name? In this case, quite a lot.

There are dozens of places where the Psalms will say something along the lines of “How majestic is your name in all the earth!” or “Blessed be his glorious name forever.” Constantly, the Bible praises God’s name. So that begs the question: “Why?”

What is it about the name of God that we should praise it so highly?

God’s name is mighty that He commanded us to not use it in vain in the third of the Ten Commandments.

Right after receiving the first set of commandments, Moses came down from Mount Sinai. And what did he see Israel doing?

The Israelites were worshiping a golden calf made by Moses’ brother, Aaron.

The Israelites, God’s chosen people, were bowing down, praying to and worshipping a gold cow, an image Aaron called “god.”

God does not have a physical form that we can bow down to and worship.

Nothing physical about Him exists on earth for us today that we can grasp in our hands and say, “This is God.”

I believe that’s why we will never find the Ark of the Covenant, Noah’s ark or the burning bush.

That would give us something physical to touch, hold, praise or worship.

I believe that’s also why none of the original manuscripts of Scripture are still in existence today.

Man is sinful and will take any physical object he can find to worship instead of the One Who created it.

Now that brings us back to God’s name. We were not given any physical thing to praise and glorify, but we were given names.

El Shaddai, Adonai, Elohim, Yahweh, Jehovah Sabaoth, Immanuel, Jesus− these are names given to us to use to praise God.

These names are holy. They are the closest things we have to a physical manifestation of God.

“I will glorify your name forever.” We don’t have an idol to praise. We don’t have a little stone statue to bow down to. God has given us something far greater to glorify than an idol.

Something higher and more powerful that we can always have with us wherever we go, His name.

God’s name is not limited by location. It can’t be destroyed by someone with a baseball bat.

It can’t be hidden away in a box. Its power cannot be stopped.

His name is everlasting, glorious and holy. It will be exalted as the most important name that will ever escape our lips.