Royals survive Patriots’ late surge, come away with well-deserved win

The Pi Gamma Delta Royals A team beat the Beta Gamma Delta Patriots in a hard-fought game Monday night. The game ended with a score of 45 to 38 in favor of Pi Gamma.

Throughout most of the game, Pi Gamma moved the ball around the perimeter and looked for open shots. Beta countered with a strong man-to-man defense, but Pi Gamma was quick, mobile and out-passed the Patriots on that side of the court.

Alex Kipp, Pi Gamma’s captain, said his team started out slowly the two games prior to Monday’s. As a result, Kipp wanted the team to focus on coming out aggressively.

“We executed extremely well,” Kipp said. “Our team defense and ball movement [was] the best we had all season.”

The Royals played a two-three zone defense. This system was quite effective in limiting the Patriots’ shot selection.

Beta struggled from the perimeter and needed to use their athletic abilities. But Pi Gamma was able to pack their defense down low, shutting down Beta’s size advantage.

Another factor in Pi Gamma’s win was their ability to make free throws. Pi Gamma made all 14 of their foul-line attempts, while Beta hit seven of 15. Had Beta made their free throws, the final score would have been much closer.

Most of the game, Pi Gamma led by 10 points. In the last two minutes, Beta came back and cut the Pi Gamma lead to five. Beta outscored the Royals in the second half, 28 to 16, but Pi Gamma’s lead was too much to overcome.